Intended Outcomes: Through participation in this institute, you will…
- Cultivate a professional learning network;
- Identify leadership strategies to support you in starting the year with consideration given to implications of COVID-19;
- Consider key legal issues that surface at the start of the year;
- Examine strategies for clarifying the Board’s expectations;
- Ensure clarity regarding your evaluation process;
- Attend to the district’s financial health with special attention on the impact of COVID-19;
- Tap into the insight and expertise of superintendents who are finishing their first and/or second year in the role; and
- Explore strategies to focus your leadership-life fit.
9 a.m. Welcome and Introductions - Roark Horn, SAI & Lisa Bartusek, IASB
- What is your Board’s top priority for you as superintendent this school year?
- Where does your Board want you to focus your attention?
9:25 Welcome from Iowa’s AEAs - AEA Chiefs
9:35 Welcome from Iowa’s Department of Education - Dr. Ann Lebo, director
9:40 Leading with a Lens on Law and Policy - Siobhan Schneider, IASB & Matt Carver, SAI
10:20 Round Table Rotations: Starting School in the Current Context - Matt Adams, Woodward-Granger; Brad Buck, Waukee; Stacey Cole, Storm Lake
11:20 Five-minute stretch
11:25 Top Questions to Ask and Answer in Your 1st 100 Days…Financially Speaking - Patti Schroeder & Shawn Snyder, IASB
12:05 p.m. Lunch Break
12:30 Discussion Panel: The First 100 Days: Had I only Known - Erik Anderson, Colfax-Mingo; Janelle Brouwer, Marion; Darin Jones, AHST
- What is the one thing you wish you had known when you first started?
- Describe something that happened this year where you would like a re-do?
- How did you work with your board in the first few weeks and months to clarify the focus for your work? What did you do to ensure you and the board were on the same page throughout the year?
- What were your expectations for your administrative team and how did you communicate them? How did you build capacity among your team?
- What is something you’re planning to do differently this year and why?
- What is the most important thing you’ve learned?
1:20 The First 100 Days: Being Clear about Board Expectations - Harry Heiligenthal & Bridgette Johnson, IASB
1:50 Superintendent Growth and Evaluation under anticipated New Standards - Roark Horn, SAI
2:25 The First 100 Days: Finding your Leadership-life Fit - Dana Schon, SAI
2:50 Next Steps/Announcements/Evaluation - Roark Horn, SAI & Lisa Bartusek, IASB
3 p.m. Adjourn
Registration fee: $110.
Cancellation: Notification must be received three business days prior to the workshop for a refund of the registration fees. Contact us here or call 515-267-1115 to let us know if you're unable to participate.
We will send an email with log-in instructions and any resources the day before the event.