SAI’s beginning administrator mentoring and induction program adopted pursuant to 281 Iowa Administrative Code 83.10 (284A) provides one year of programming to support the Iowa standards for school administrators, and to support beginning administrators’ professional and personal needs. The program is structured to provide support, professional learning, and access to a variety of informational resources critical to a beginning administrator’s success as a leader of student achievement.
- Assignment of an experienced and high-quality administrator in a comparable position as a mentor for the mentee (SAI selects and assigns the mentor). The mentor is expected to provide regular contact with the mentee through face-to-face meetings, phone calls, email or other technology.
- Training for the mentor, that addresses program expectations to fulfill mentor responsibilities, strategies to support mentees, reporting requirements, resources to use with the mentee, and coaching and mentoring skills.
- Two statewide meetings for mentees and mentors at which professional learning and best leadership practices and resources are provided.
2020-21 Meeting Dates:
MS/HS – September 28, 2020 and January 26, 2021
- Monthly email messages to mentors and mentees connecting them to a website, updated monthly, with resources, coaching tips, suggested topics and questions, and accountability measures.
- Program evaluation to assess the quality of the program and its value to the mentee.
- Technical assistance for the mentee’s supervisor related to procedural requirements for evaluation and licensure.
- An advisory committee made up of mentors and mentees that provides input for program improvement and sustainability.
The district pays $500 to SAI for each beginning administrator participating in the program. That cost underwrites expenses for the two statewide meetings, mileage for mentor’s travel to statewide meetings, resources, staff time, and program evaluation cost. An invoice will be generated upon registration.
Reminder that a Program Agreement approved and signed by the district should also be submitted to SAI.
Find more SAI Mentoring and Induction Program information.
Contact Dana Schon, professional learning director or Amy Swanson, program coordinator