Student, Staff and Community Member Speech Rights
- Participants will learn more concerning student and staff rights with an emphasis on recent school safety developments.
- Review how to deal with inappropriate posts by staff members, parents or other community members.
- The student speech topic will also cover walkouts, sit-ins and other protests.
- Speech rights on social media will cover the rights of both students and staff members to post on personal as well as school media sites.
Search & Seizure
Threats or other troubling behavior is now often posted on social media or made through smartphones. Join us at the Spring Legal Lab and learn when school administrators have the authority to search that technology, based on student actions at and away from school.
- Who should perform searches?
- May we confiscate technology?
- When should I get law enforcement involved?
- Am I required to contact parents prior to a search?
All of these questions and more will be answered.
Other areas of discussion and learning will cover searching student lockers, bags, vehicles and other personal areas, as well as the use of breathalyzers, drug test and drug-sniffing dogs. Participants will learn about Iowa and federal law, as well as review a variety of scenarios with other school administrators.
Locations: This Legal Lab will be simulcast to two additional locations: Central Rivers AEA Office in Cedar Falls and Prairie Lakes AEA Office in Storm Lake. Use the registration that corresponds to the site you wish to attend.
Facilitator: Matt Carver, SAI legal services director
Licensure renewal credit: learn your options for earning credit here.
Registration fee:(includes continental breakfast and lunch) $110 for SAI members, $220 for non-members.
Cancellation: Notification must be received three business days prior to the workshop for a refund of the registration fees. Contact us here or call 515-267-1115 to let us know if you're unable to attend.